Advanced Standing Option for Health Professionals
The Advanced Standing Option provides the opportunity for qualified individuals to earn a massage therapy credential more quickly. This option is geared for those students with a relevant university degree, usually in kinesiology, and foreign-trained health professionals whose education and credentials are a good match.
To determine if you qualify, a Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) must be conducted. For more information about the PLA process and applicable fees, click here.
This Advanced Standing Option for Health Professionals therefore consists of the completion of an initial 12-week curriculum in order to be eligible for the final year of the massage therapy diploma program. Students who complete the diploma program will then qualify for provincial massage therapy certifications exams.
2020 Start Dates
OPTION 1: July 2020
July 6, 2020 – August 13, 2021
OPTION 2: September 2020
September 28, 2020 – October 15, 2021
Applicants whose prior education is one of the programs listed below must simply provide an official transcript that indicates completion of the program (e.g. degree conferred, diploma granted), or the original of the degree/diploma must be presented so the school can retain a copy.
Candidates who are currently finishing one of the pre-approved programs may still apply and submit a final official transcript when available.
- Brock University: Bachelor of Kinesiology, Bachelor of Science (Kinesiology)
- George Brown College: Fitness and Health Promotion Diploma
- Humber College: Diploma in Fitness and Health Promotion
- Lakehead University: Bachelor of Kinesiology (Honours)
- Laurentian University: BSc (Hons) Kinesiology
- McMaster University: Bachelor of Kinesiology
- Queen’s University: Bachelor of Physical and Health Education (Honours)
- Queen’s University: BSc Kinesiology
- Seneca College: Fitness & Health Promotion Diploma
- Sheridan College: Bachelor of Health Sciences Kinesiology and Health Promotion
- University of British Colombia: Bachelor of Kinesiology
- University of British Columbia: Bachelor of Human Kinetics
- University of Guelph-Humber BASc (Hons) Kinesiology
- University of Guelph: BSc Human Kinetics
- University of Ontario Institute of Technology: Bachelor of Health Science (Kinesiology)
- University of Ottawa: BSc (Hons) Kinesiology
- University of Toronto: Bachelor of Kinesiology
- University of Waterloo: BSc Kinesiology
- University of Windsor: Bachelor of Human Kinetics (Kinesiology)
- Western University: BSc Kinesiology
- Wilfrid Laurier University: Bachelor of Kinesiology (Honours)
- York University: BA or BSc Kinesiology and Health Science
The programs of the above pre-approved institutions are reviewed every five years for currency.
While in second year, Advanced Standing students continue to meet once a week with instructors to finalize coverage of first-year content. Throughout their time at school, Education Team members check in with these students to ensure that their transition into the diploma program is proceeding smoothly.
Design & Schedule
Regularly scheduled classes are Mondays to Friday 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., with the addition of an evening clinic shift, 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., beginning in Week 8. Once Advanced Standing Students join the Term 3 class, there will be a regular evening clinic shift and the possibility of one evening class per week.
For more information about:
- A course-by-course program description, click here.
- Our Specialty Clinics, click here.
- Our Advanced Standing Option for Health Professionals fees, click here.
- Our admissions requirements and process, click here.
To discuss any questions you may have about the Advanced Standing Option for Health Professionals, including how to initiate your prior learning assessment and how to apply, please contact Ronke Asalu, Admissions Coordinator at 416-924-1107 ext. 23 or by email.